Tuesday, December 3, 2013

#GivingTuesday: Working at a Local Nonprofit

I love my job. I am the Marketing and Development Manager at the Museum of World Treasures in Old Town Wichita, KS. I don't know why I started as a business major at Newman University -- the Communication department was where I was destined to end up. Changing my major and jumping head first into the department was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

The Museum of World Treasures is the one of the only family-friendly attractions in Old Town. Happy to be there!

I'm thankful to have completed my degree and actually have a position doing something relevant to my education (which is not common for new grads around the area). I never dreamed of working in a history museum, but now I can't imagine my first full-time career position anywhere else. Not everyone gets to work with 500 million year old rocks, shrunken heads, or a T. rex every day, and Ivan is one of my best buddies.

Ivan the T. rex was found in South Dakota only five feet under the ground.

Today I had the opportunity to promote #GivingTuesday, a national campaign to add a day of giving to the shopping line up of Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday. Did you give to a nonprofit that is meaningful to you? If you support the Museum's efforts of providing quality educational programs, exhibits, and school tours, please consider donating online here before Dec. 5, 2013. If you are interested in donating to the Museum at any other time, please call 316.263.1311.

Here's my #UNselfie for #GivingTuesday. I give because I'm #TeamIvan!

Wichita is blessed to have so many art and culture driven organizations. These nonprofits are very important to the development and growth of the city, but need help and support to thrive. To help generate revenue, the Museum rents out banquet space on the third floor. Raymond and I are excited to be planning our reception around the space. There will be dinosaur wedding photos (and maybe cake toppers)!

No comments:

Post a Comment